Monday, August 17, 2009

Great Sports Coaches - My Standard is Higher

I have a higher standard than the ready to anoint someone as "Great" by the current media sensationalist, public relations, hype-machine. (Remember, the media has to create personalities, drama, etc. to be relevant & stay in business)

On my great coaches list - the individual has to be at least very good (championship contender) to championship level with every team, at some point there, that he led as a head coach, manager, etc.

This list would exclude Bill Belichick (Cleveland Browns), Vince Lombardi (Washington Redskins), Bill Parcells (New York Jets, Dallas Cowboys) - death is no excuse for Vince. Some of those teams were awful. Many others considered "great coaches" by the media would Not qualify for my list.

On the other hand - some qualifiers for my list are: Tom Landry (Dallas Cowboys), John Madden (Oakland Raiders), Scotty Bowman (Montreal Canadiens, Buffalo Sabres, Pittsburgh Penguins, Detroit Red Wings), Phil Jackson (Chicago Bulls, Los Angeles Lakers), Al Davis (1960's AFL Oakland Raiders head coach) - just to name a few.

However, if one on my "great coach" list comes back & leads a bad team as a head coach/manager - then he or she would "drop-off" my list.

No comments: